Last night I got up out of bed because I remembered this wonderful advice-- I needed it and my soul wouldn't rest until I found it and reminded myself of these truths. Perhaps you need it too?
I've added some Scripture references for each point, for further meditation.
PRESCRIPTION FOR CONTENTMENT:
- Never allow yourself to complain about anything - not even the weather. (Philippians 2:14, Ephesians 4:29, Numbers 11:1-4, James 1:2-4, Proverbs 17:22)
- Never picture yourself in any other circumstances or someplace else. (Philippians 4:11-12)
- Never compare your lot with another’s. (Isaiah 53:7, Matthew 7:1-2)
- Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise. (Numbers 11:1-4, 1 Corinthians 10:9-10, 1 Thessalonians 5:18, Ephesians 5:20, Psalm 103:2)
- Never dwell on tomorrow - remember that [tomorrow] is God’s, not ours. (Romans 12:2, Romans 15:13, Colossians 3:15)
This was taken from Linda Dillow's excellent book, Calm My Anxious Heart: A Woman's Guide to Finding Contentment, as something she learned from a woman who lived in the African bush in the mid-20th-century, who had to fight daily for contentment and kept these things as her standard for where she would let her thoughts dwell. This is not advice from the lofty tower... this is down and dirty advice for fighting for contentment in everyday life.
It helped me for YEARS when I had it up on my fridge... I think I will put it up somewhere in my bathroom now. I love coming across wisdom like this, and hope it encourages and challenges you, like it does me.
image courtesy of anankkml/FreeDigitalPhotos.net