"I often wish that someone could create a Soul Velcro. We need spiritual truths to stick to us so that we can live abundantly. Without Velcro in the soul, ... we can forget that we matter to God. We can ignore what is really true about us and begin to listen to lies whispered into our hearts."
~Stephen W. Smith, Embracing Soul Care
Sadly, it is often the hurtful comments that "stick" to us rather than the encouraging ones. Oh, sure, we can get hung up with pride, too, if we sit and dwell on comments that feed our ego in one area or another. But all too often, particularly for those of us who at some point had a "reputation", we identify more with the sinful/bad things about ourselves rather than identifying with the wonderful/righteous things God has made us to be.
Believing woman, think on these things written about you:
- CHOSEN, HOLY, GOD'S POSSESSION, IN THE LIGHT, RECIPIENT OF MERCY: "You are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; for you once were not a people, but now you are the people of God; you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy." ~1 Peter 2:9
- YOU BELONG TO GOD: "You are bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which belong to God." ~1 Corinthians 6:20
- YOU ARE NOT WHAT YOU WERE; YOU ARE BEING MADE NEW: "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold all things are become new." ~2 Corinthians 5:17
- CHILD OF GOD: "to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name." ~John 1:12
- RESCUED, REDEEMED, FORGIVEN: "For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the Kingdom of His beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. ~Colossians 1:13
... and of course, there is so much more in the Word, but these are some essentials.
Which of these need to "stick" to your soul, like velcro? Could you write it on a notecard and tape it somewhere in your house-- on your mirror, or in front of your kitchen sink? What can you do today to REMEMBER your identity in Christ?
Image: Grant Cochrane / FreeDigitalPhotos.net