Letter to a Homeschool Mom

This year was a bit different for me.

Entering the school year with a 6th grader felt more like a big leap... the *gulp* lodged in my throat, and it felt more weighty than any year before.

When I confessed this feeling to a friend of mine, she said, "welcome to the way I always feel about homeschooling!"

I suppose all of us at some point or another find ourselves struggling with whether we're capable, and whether we can (*gulp*) REALLY do this thing.

Rather than writing myself a note, or writing you a note, laced with my own human wisdom, let me look to Scripture for my encouragement... and offer these words to you as well:



Dear Homeschool Mom,

Sometimes you get tired: "Let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." ~Galatians 6:9

Sometimes you feel overwhelmed: "Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer; from the end of the earth when my heart is faint.  Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, for you have been my refuge." ~Psalm 61:2-3

Sometimes you need wisdom: "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him." ~James 1:5

When you feel exultant, and are tempted to feel pride, remember: "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights." ~James 1:17

When you feel hopeless, and are tempted to despair, remember: "What is impossible with man is possible with God." ~Luke 18:27

When you are tempted to look around you and compare yourself (or your children) with others: "We urge you, brothers... aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs..." ~1 Thessalonians 4:11

When you feel anxious: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." ~Philippians 4:6-7

When it feels like the world is on your shoulders, remember who you are relying on: "He who calls you is faithful; He will surely do it." ~1 Thessalonians 5:24

Keep looking to Christ as the foundation, to God as your strength, to God as the One who has to open your children's eyes, minds, and souls, to God for all that you need.  He is faithful; He is good.

Have a great year,
~Jess


P.S.- This letter could probably apply to every mom at some point in life, homeschool or not.  I just happen to be a homeschool mom and found that these are some of the things I struggle with.  I hope it encourages everyone who reads it, homeschoolers or not.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I am so thankful for this today. Thank you for the reminders.