A Word for Me Today

From Oswald Chambers' My Utmost For His Highest, 11/13/08:
We should battle through our moods, feelings, and emotions into absolute devotion to the Lord Jesus. We must break out of our own little world of experience into abandoned devotion to Him. ...How dare we talk of making a sacrifice for the Son of God! We are saved from hell and total destruction, and then we talk about making sacrifices!
And from his MUFHH entry, 11/11/08, another timely word:

God’s command is, "Take now," not later. It is incredible how we debate! We know something is right, but we try to find excuses for not doing it immediately. If we are to climb to the height God reveals, it can never be done later— it must be done now...

"So Abraham rose early in the morning . . . and went to the place of which God had told him" ( Genesis 22:3 ). Oh, the wonderful simplicity of Abraham! When God spoke, he did not "confer with flesh and blood" ( Galatians 1:16 ). Beware when you want to "confer with flesh and blood" or even your own thoughts, insights, or understandings— anything that is not based on your personal relationship with God. These are all things that compete with and hinder obedience to God.

Abraham did not choose what the sacrifice would be. Always guard against self-chosen service for God. Self-sacrifice may be a disease that impairs your service. If God has made your cup sweet, drink it with grace; or even if He has made it bitter, drink it in communion with Him. If the providential will of God means a hard and difficult time for you, go through it. But never decide the place of your own martyrdom, as if to say, "I will only go to there, but no farther." God chose the test for Abraham, and Abraham neither delayed nor protested, but steadily obeyed.


I am so thankful (and indebted) to whoever's blog it was I read recently that recommended subscribing to this rss feed. If you don't, consider getting My Utmost For His Highest through your bloglines, google, yahoo, or whatever rss feedreader you use. God has used this man's writings in times past to speak to my heart-- and He's done it again this week. Perhaps you'll find the same thing to be true.

Blessings!

7 comments:

Sanders said...

Good stuff. I couldn't help but think about how I'm training my daughter to obey without delay, yet I myself often delay when it comes to immediately obeying God.

Polly said...

This is one of my daily must-reads (but I use the book version--old school). There's always something fresh and new to be seen, no matter how many times I've read one of the devotionals! This one is a great one...

Anonymous said...

Wow, did I ever need to read that this morning! We've been through two very hard years .... and things are about to get more difficult. I keep trying to draw the line, "I won't let things get this bad...", but it makes so much more sense to trust The Lord and see the blessing in these times. A crack is where the light comes in, right? My Grandma used to tell me that.
Thanks for posting this. Please pray for me and my family if you think of it.

Melissa

Dani said...

What great words. I was just looking at my old Oswald Chambers devotion book on the shelf thinking I need to take it back down and start reading it again.

Jessica Rae said...

Jess,
Thank you for sharing this. I've never read this book, but have heard many good things about it. I love your not watered down and not sugar coated points. They are direct and there is a lot of truth there.
I would like to contrast
"Beware when you want to 'confer with flesh and blood'..."
however, with
"There is safety in a multitude of counselors." These would be godly counselors obviously, but I would assume they are meant for such cases when we are not fully convinced of the Lord's will for us or what he's asking of us. I think it's good to be cautious and certain of what the Lord wants from us before we act so that we can do it wholeheartedly and without doubt.
I agree that if you are just trying to avoid, prolong or get out of doing something you KNOW the Lord has asked you to do, then seeking counsel or "conferring with flesh and blood" is vain and even sinful.
I love that your posts are usually short, but packed with truth, challenges and encouragement! I tell my husband that your blog is the only one I read that actually drives me to the Word!
Thank you!

Liz said...

I love Oswald. My BFF and I have had lots of conversations over his writings. I didn't realize there was a feed for My Utmost. I'm definitely gonna check that out. ~ Liz

The Durham's said...

Thank you so much for your sweet comment:) I just want you to know what a blessing you are to so many when you share your heart! I read almost daily and love your honesty and devotion...it is such a breath of fresh air! Bless you and this ministry, because that's exactly what it is:)