Thoughts on... BEING A GODLY WOMAN
- What do we do when facing problems with other people? C.S. Lewis offers wise, challenging advice.
- Are you a bitter woman?
- Never "get much" out of Leviticus? Or are you looking for ways to enrich your Bible study time? Check out Melissa's thoughts about reverence for God, and how she structures her Bible studies in order to better understand God's message.
- Taming The Tongue: Desiring God's recent conference messages are all online... for me, and most women I know, this issue of our words is a particularly relevant challenge.
- A woman's "highest calling"? In case you missed it, Amy's thoughts here are SO worth reading. I see this phrase thrown around a lot... I highly encourage you to read and consider what she writes.
Thoughts on... MARRIAGE
- Beware of "The Little Foxes"-- Mark Driscoll has yet another good word about marriage. In this message, he talks about the "little" things that can steal joy, freedom, love, and longevity from our marriages. I'd strongly encourage you to listen to or watch this message, whether you're married, engaged, or want to be married. It's very practical and definitely worth your time! Listen or watch here!
- Married to an overweight spouse? Here are some ideas about what you can do.
- For all of us Jane Austen lovers, this is a good word: Quit idealizing Darcy!
- You aren't safe from adultery.
- Beautiful Womanhood has a good word about sex.
- 14 ways to affair-proof your marriage (written to men, there are many parts of this article that are useful & relevant for us as wives as well!)
- When Marriage is Whatever We Want it To Be- Thoughts on redefining marriage
Thoughts on... CHILDREN
- Wise words on how to overcome irritation with children
- Beautiful perspective: What I'd Like You To Know (from a mom of many)... consider this link as a hearty "Amen!" from me.
- Do kids NEED mom to play with them? Brenda shares some interesting thoughts about this often guilt-inducing subject.
- When a friend miscarries: Wise words from my friend Tanya in her article, "Tanya, I just don't know what to DO."
- Speak kindly to your children.
- Having three children really isn't SO difficult.
- An easy way to teach children to tie their own shoes.
- When is a family TOO BIG? Whoopi Goldberg and others in an interesting (and, in many ways, scary) conversation.
- PLEASE protect your kids online!!! Christine reminds us of what's at risk.
- Lunch ideas for busy moms- here's a running list I've put together of potential, EASY meals for mid-day with kids-- I'd love to have you add your ideas!
- Shaping Your Child's Sexuality: Mary Flo Ridley seems to have a thoughtful perspective on having "THE talk"... I've enjoyed all I've read/heard from her so far.
- When Your Quiver Overflows- Stacy McDonald... a thoughtful perspective on the fruit of the womb
- Scroll down this article until you see the headline "The Cost of Motherhood", and then read it. It's true...here's an excerpt:
There is a cost of motherhood. And the price is no small sum. And if you are not willing to pay this price, no amount of encouragement about the joys of motherhood will satisfy.
But the price of motherhood is not fundamentally different from the price of being a disciple of Jesus Christ. In fact, Christian mothers see their duty as mothers flowing from their calling to Jesus Christ. And what is this cost?
Christian motherhood means dedicating your entire life in service of others.
Thoughts on... RAISING DAUGHTERS
- Some great books I've seen recommended time and time again for preparing for the adolescent years with daughters: The Care & Keeping of You, Secret Keeper Girl
- How will we know who we like if we don't date? Terry shares her thoughts.
- Girltalk had a word of encouragement about training our daughters in womanhood... and if you're looking for a life-on-life Bible study to do with your daughter, perhaps "Polished Cornerstones" would be worth considering.
Thoughts on... HOMESCHOOLING
- Want to quickly assess your child's reading abilities?
- Here's a gracious encouragement to be inspired, but not measured, by what others are doing.
- And here's a post about keeping a realistic perspective on life as a homeschooling family.
- Is your kid really gifted? Probably not.
Thoughts on... ABORTION
- The death of a nation? Russia obliterates her future with a 64% abortion rate. In fact, now, to combat terribly low birth rates, they're paying women big bucks to have a second child.
- Joe Carter highlights the possibility of future wars stemming from today's abortions.
- Sarah Palin's threatening womb
- Planned Parenthood's view on the upcoming presidential election.
- Are we a pro-life people? Our reactions to "unplanned" pregnancy, young mothers, and large families speak volumes.
Thoughts on... FINANCES & FRUGALITY
- Understanding our economy: Money As Debt
- Watch batteries inside a 12 Volt battery? Seriously!
- Farmers on finance... agrarian wisdom for such a time as this.
- Another meatless meal: Egg Nachos
- A timely word: Don't Desire Wealth! -John Piper
Thoughts on... FOOD
- Cook perfect rice
- Make tasty Oreo Truffles-- could be a tasty homemade Christmas gift for neighbors and friends
- Pepperoni Rolls-- YUM! These sound scrumptious.
- Perfect from-scratch pumpkin puree... ready for all sorts of tasty holiday recipes!
- Isn't this a FUN cake pan?
- Make your own teething biscuits. Three great links: Teething Stick Recipe #1, Teething recipes aplenty, the hows & whys of making your own teething stuffs (also with recipes), a discussion of safely making your own teething biscuits. Any guesses on who has a newly teething solid food eater? :-)
Random MISCELLANY that's potentially WORTH YOUR TIME
- Do Christians in China still suffer persecution?
- First Graders attend same-sex wedding- as a public school field trip. Since liberals aren't having their own children, they'll just take control of the consciences of everyone else's children through government schools. At the same time that American education is tanking in virtually every academic area, THIS is the stuff they want 5- and 6-year-olds to learn. Ugh.
- How to fold a t-shirt in 2 seconds
- Adjusting to life overseas... good advice for any ex-pat wife.
- Mark Driscoll is, chapter by chapter, releasing his book-- "Porn-Again Christian" -- online, for FREE. Publishers have turned down the option of publishing this book because of Driscoll's straightforward handling of these issues-- I'm guessing this is one interesting book, relative to our culture, honoring to God, and offensive to the rigidly religious among us. But wasn't Jesus all of those things?
- TV-free living? An article about us kooks.
- In his new documentary, Religulous, Bill Maher clearly thinks that anyone who believes in God is a fool. Here's the preview-- you be the judge.
- Answering Lottie Moon's Cry: an interesting article that at least raises worthwhile questions about complementarianism & women in overseas missions
- Do you pop your neck? Is the temporary relief worth it? I confess that I have for more than a decade... but reading this article has caused me to re-think my habit.
- Regardless of your thoughts on Palin, this article examining Palin's wardrobe is an interesting one. [For one thing, no such article would EVER be written about a male politician (unless he was effeminate). For another, I've really appreciated seeing a woman who's not afraid to be feminine. Mother, wife, long hair, skirts... finally, there's a prominent woman who's not afraid to overtly be, well, a woman.]
- If you don't read ETERNAL PERSPECTIVES blog, you should. Some of the most thought-provoking blogging around paired with book giveaways. Does it get better than this?
- Human sexual trafficking: Inform yourself... this interview (called, "They Could Kill You & Noone Would Ever Know") with a Central Asian woman gives an insightful view to this horrible, modern-day practice.
GOOD FOR A LAUGH
- How to punish a cheating husband? Make him wear this! This website of crochet-gone-wrong cracks me up!
- Cake Wrecks-- always good for a laugh... this blogger finds the BEST (read: worst) cakes to highlight!