Show & Tell: Clearing Out My Bloglines

One day last week, I went on a cleaning splurge with the kids... I woke up and told them, "today is gonna be a cleaning day." After breakfast, brooms began flying, appliances were wiped down, things that had been lost were found, furniture was rearranged... and by 11:30 or so, we'd made quite a big impact on the apartment. The whole living space looked different and we all enjoyed the fruit of our labor!

Today, I feel like doing the same thing with my Bloglines account. So here we go, here's a link-sharing festival of just the articles I've saved in my Bloglines blog reader. Enjoy!

FEATURE ARTICLE:
Our culture downplays the pressure of living life as a "modern, successful woman"-- Aifric Campbell shares about the major transition of her life, going from career woman to mother (a few excerpts, and then the link) :
I had a seven-figure salary but worked so hard I rarely had time to spend it. Personal shoppers at Harrods and Harvey Nichols picked out my Max Mara suits and Gucci leather briefcases. Everything revolved around work.
...
I had always wanted a family and was thrilled when I became pregnant in February 1998. I was 36. I didn't tell a soul because I didn't want allowances to be made. Instead I simply wore longer dresses and my male colleagues didn't notice a thing.
...
Oscar was born, and I fell in love instantly. Nothing prepared me for the overwhelming passion I felt for the tiny bundle in my arms. It seems totally mad but, even though I loved Oscar to bits, it never crossed my mind not to return to work as soon as possible.

Oscar was two weeks old when I was invited back into work - to be told that I had been promoted... and I was thrilled. I really felt it proved I could have it all - a gorgeous new baby, a fantastic career, a loving, supportive husband.

But I was also in a state of total, bone-crushing exhaustion. As the days ticked by, I felt increasingly torn between my new baby and my return to the office.

CLICK HERE TO READ THE FULL ARTICLE.


ENCOURAGING & CHALLENGING LINKS:

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING & INFORMATIVE LINKS:
HOMESCHOOLING & EDUCATION:
CRAFTY LINKS:
  • Lucy's blog is an incredibly inspirational place! She crochets like the dickens (seriously, I don't know how she finds the time!), and her blog is where I was inspired to make the colorful, flowery granny-square blanket I made (pictured above) for myself in the winter (to be fair, it started out for "Violet" but then the doc told us she'd made a mistake and we were actually expecting a boy).
  • Maternity clothes-- two great ideas I meant to try but didn't get around to, and now it's too late for me: Refashion jeans into a maternity skirt, Turn a big shirt into a maternity shirt
  • Container Gardening-- it's the only kind of gardening I can do right now... but it's great for herbs and smaller plants!
  • Make your own bath toy bag.
  • Turn a sock into a baby rattle-- super cute idea!
  • Make your own car playmat for the floor-- my mother-in-law had done this for her sons (my husband and his two brothers) a couple decades ago, and our sons still enjoy playing with it. She also adapted this idea to make a "ranch" playmat (with buildings, stock tank, grove of trees, stream, etc.), to use with toy animals. It's a great idea, and for us as overseas' dwellers, it's a great, easily portable toy!
  • Easy and cute homemade travel high chair-- I really do intend to make this at some point... it would be very useful for our family, particularly in certain seasons of life (when doing a lot of travel with a 12-18 month old).'
  • OR- recover your home's high chair with an updated, fun fabric!
COOKING LINKS:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Jess,

I have recently come across your blog and have been really enjoying reading your biblical viewpoints on things such as marriage and parenting, plus the fantastic links and book reviews. I am 27 years old, single and am keen to learn about how to be a good wife and mother. Thank you very much for blessing me through your blog.

Jacqueline

Elspeth said...

There are some great looking links here, Jess. The cooking links, (along with anything from Randy Alcorn) look especially interesting. I look forward to perusing them when I have time.

Oh, and thanks for linking to me also!

Catherine R. said...

Thanks again for the good reading material around the web... don't know how you do it - you're the link lady : )

Oh and I went on a cleaning frenzy too. Actually I do it on a regular basis. Yesterday I attacked our wood floors which had never had a real mopping since we moved in. I cleaned up the 3 month old choc milk spills. Feels good!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the links! Funny you posted the travel high chair one, I've seen a similar thing in the stores last year and was just thinking today about them. I might try to make it :)

Elizabeth

Shaunta' said...

Hi Jess,
It's been quite awhile since I've visited your blog. I'm so glad that you have lots of links to good articles and tutorials...despite the fact that I stayed up a little late reading! I, too, use the BabyWise Method. L-O-V-E it! I have a 3 you and 18 month old twins and one on the way (quite the handful, as everyone reminds me). LOL. I've also read lots from Raising Godly Tomatoes and I've implemented some of that too. Anyway...I was wondering if you could do a post on how you potty train your children. I'm in the thick of it now with the twins. I definetly need some encouragement and tips.